Jump To Navigation

When may a Minnesota court modify a child custody order?

Once a couple in Minnesota establishes a child custody order, each of them then moves on with their life, following the schedule set in the order. Yet lives change, sometimes unexpectedly. There may come a time when due to any multitude of reasons, a parent wants to modify an existing child custody order.

First, per Minnesota Statutes section 518.18, unless the parents had agreed to it in writing ahead of time, a child custody order cannot be modified sooner than 12 months after the date the divorce decree was finalized. An exception to this is if the court determines that one parent was persistently and willfully interfering with the parenting plan or if the child's current living environment puts the child's physical or mental health in danger.

Moreover, to modify an existing parenting plan or child custody order with regard to the child's primary residence, a change in circumstances must have arisen making it in the best interests of the child for the modification to occur. Furthermore, a child custody order may be modified if each party, having been represented by attorneys when the original child custody order was made, agree to the modification. In addition, modification is possible if the child has been integrated into the family of the parent seeking a change of custody with the other parent's permission, or the child's current living arrangement endangers the child's health or emotional development to the extent to which it is more advantageous to the child for the modification to occur. Finally, modification is an option if the court had previously denied a request of the primary custodial parent to move with the child out-of-state and despite that the primary custodial parent had done so.

This is only a brief overview of child custody modification laws in Minnesota, and cannot guarantee any specific outcome in one's case nor can it serve as legal advice. If a parent in Minnesota wants to ask the court to modify an existing child custody order, that parent may need to consult a family law attorney to better understand what his or her rights are in such situations.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
How can our firm help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed Visit Our Family Law Website FindLaw Network

Super Lawyers 2014

Attorneys named Rising Stars every year from 2006-2014 (Top 2.5% of profession)

Also named 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Super Lawyers by Minnesota Law and Politics.